Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Visitors at Treatment + Shaving

I had my 3rd of 8 ABVD treatments last week, in about 1 week I'll be half way through treatment, ready for Radiation Treatment to start for 1 month.

I responded fairly well to this last treatment.  The worst so far has been the very 1st treatment- which is typical for most people on ABVD (although everyone is different).  

This go around I had mainly jaw pain- but not too terrible, and it lasted for a few days.  The worst again was probably the fatigue which means LOTS of sleeping and extra naps.  There's also a sensitivity/dryness in my mouth, and very minor nausea (which hasn't grown worse at all as I thought it would), which hasn't kept me from eating.  Most all of my swollen lymph nodes have petty much disappeared or are very difficult to spot- at least I know it's working. Here's the exchange with my Dr. during my appointment:

Dr:  Have you had any trouble eating?
Me:  Nope.
Dr.:  Let's see... actually you've gained about 2 pounds since you started Chemo therapy.
Me:  Really?
Dr::  Yes... you could use more exercise.
Me:  ...I guess exercise more then.

I had some visitors this past treatment as well:


They're talking about shoes, not what Dawn stepped in.

So most of my hair has been shedding, it actually comes out with barely any pulling.  It's a bit fascinating to be able to pull it out though.  So far I've only lost my hair on my head, and beard.  Eye brows and eye lashes are staying put- they haven't budged (as well as all of my other hair). I haven't shaved in about a week though- my hair does grow, it just does VERY slowly.  

Weird note about me- I actually enjoy shaving.  I shave with a double edge safety razor (because inside I'm apparently a grandpa of some sort), and have gotten pretty good with it- no nicks, and is actually "fun" to shave (for me at least)- I use a shave mug and all that jazz as well.  I also got tired of buying $4 a pop disposable cartridges, and instead have 200 safety razors for about $15, which should last me about the next 2+ years:

When the hair on my face starts growing again, I'll probably try my hand at a straight edge razor (and probably turn my face into sausage).

It'll be awhile before I can shave again, but I suppose it will save me about 15 minutes every morning. I can use that time now... for sleeping.

Next post I'll talk about my schedule, cooking, exercise, treatment, and what not- I'm on a pretty well regulated schedule I've set up for myself.

They're not so bad when they aren't fighting over who gets to sit in the cardboard box:

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read the updates, tough chemo #2 day 3 for me, made me feel a little better to read, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your posts about your treatment, hang in there!

      The lows suck, but if you can have a good up-swing week after- the beer with dinner tastes far better than it would under other normal circumstances.

      Stay Positive.

      Delete