Monday, February 11, 2013

My Last Chemo Treatment + Bowling + Another Atricle

I have my last treatment coming up this Thursday 02/14/2013.  Wendy is going to surprise me with dinner that night.

The way my timeline of treatment looks now:


  • End chemotherapy on Thursday 02/14/2013
  • 2 Weeks rest Through 03/01/2013- During this time I'll have a PET scan to see how everything's gone.  Hopefully there will be no more disease left, and if there is a trace amount, it will taken care of with radiation.
  • Start Radiation roughly 03/04/2013 through the end of the month 04/01/2013.
  • Then I have to wait around 60 days (I'll have to confirm this with my Doctor) for a final PET scan as radiation interferes with the scans. So around June 2013 I'll get my PET scan.
  • Then after the PET scan, that's when I will be told if I'm in remission or not. roughly around the middle of the first week/middle of June.

I don't know when I'll return to work, possibly I might work part time during the 60 days, depending on how much fatigue I have from radiation- but if the fatigue is anything like my chemo, I probably won't return to work until sometime in June (!).


I also went bowling this weekend:
I'm terrible at bowling.

Here's another article worth noting:
  • This excellent article by a research scientist in the UK about science conspiracy theories.  The comments on the article are pretty annoying- but she actually replied to most all of them, minus the crankiest ones.  She and I also pretty much said the same thing about "everything being a chemical" in my previous post as well.  
Here's a nerdy science joke. Q: Hey, what's the word for multiple instances of anecdotal evidence?  A: No data.

Other side effects:
Although I'm just about done, I have a few new side effects popping up:
  • Numbness/tingling in my fingers and toes.  The doctor had been asking me for a month if I had this sensation- I had not, until about a week and a half ago.  It's a little weird. I'm told that it's a pretty normal side effect after the amount I've had.
  • Either really hot or really cold when sleeping- before I eventually get comfortable.  This apparently happens a lot too.
  • Super dry lungs.  Try to stay on top of being hydrated.  Go through some dry coughing fits in the morning when I get up (takes forever to get up), and sometimes before bed.  My lungs always feel pretty tired, which hasn't made me very active in the past month. This is a common side effect of the chemo drugs as well.
  • Fatigue last past my "bad week."  It's not too terrible, but it lingers quite a bit through my "good week."

Otherwise, I'm not feeling too terrible, although not as well as I was a couple of months ago- the effects of ABVD are cumulative so it was all to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment