Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pre-Chemo Procedures

I personally would really like to start chemotherapy as soon as possible, the faster I can start treatment, the sooner I can tackle through this.

My Doctor though, needs to see if my body is up to spec first.  Although I'm in good health, and that non-American BMI of 22.6, they have to *really* make sure.

Today  I did a MUGA, to check the efficiency of my heart.  Which should be A-OK, but they need to use it as a base line for future tests.  It consisted of laying on automated table, into a machine that was kinda like a CT/PET Scanner, but less claustrophobic.  Slightly radioactive IV for getting contrast images oh my heart running.  So far it's the easiest diagnostic ANYTHING I've have done.

Although I've got 3 more Doctor-Things I've got to do before Chemo cycle 1 on Nov 1st:
  1. A Pulmonary Function Test, to check the lungs.
  2. Bone Marrow Biopsy, to check *just in case* that there's no Hodgkin's Reed-Sternberg Cells present in my bone marrow.  My Doctor says there's pretty much no chance it's in my bone marrow, given my stage and location- BUT it's a precaution.  Did I mention I have through Doctors?
  3. Medical  Port "installed." A little device installed under my skin in my chest, that's hooked up to a vein, where I can get IV's, injections, blood draws without turning my arm veins to hamburger over the next few months.  The nurses will also thank me.
I decided to get #3 when my oncologist  asked me if I wanted one installed.  He said "How are your arm veins?"  I said  "I don't know- what do you think?"  (show him my veins)  "Hmmm, no those are pretty bad."  I then said "I'll take one port please."

#2+#3 are going to be this Friday 10/26/2012, back to back.  I'll be pretty drugged up, and I hope it doesn't suck, but per the oncology nurse "you'll be awake, but you'll be so sedated you won't care."  Wendy's giving me a ride home, and hopefully will make sure I don't do any online shopping.

But the notion of having a bone marrow biopsy + port install back to back, made me make this face:


However I'm banking on the surgical drugs.  Oh, and all of the things I won't buy on those drugs.

3 comments:

  1. You always make that face. Except when online shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have Wendy take your picture when you get home from the hospital so we can compare it to Miles' face!

    ReplyDelete