Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I got my Scotch + Radiation + My Hair

Scotch:

I said I wanted a bottle of Scotch when I was done with Chemotherapy and got some good news, and to share with my friends.

 Indeed I did.

Scotch makes everything cheery.

When else would I be able to justify as super expensive single malt 21 year old bottle of Scotch? (The up side to having cancer I suppose- enabling me to splurge)

Radiation:
Well after getting my tattoo, my crazy mask made (if you're claustrophobic  you had better let them know ahead of time so they can give you anti-anxiety pills, because you won't like it), and my head rest made (I don't get a full body cushion as they only need my neck stabilized)- the annoying part of radiation therapy is that it's everyday for such a short amount of time (30 mins usually, at least for me, for some it's shorter or longer) 5 days a week- it actually takes me twice as long to get there and back than to get the treatment (including the time spent reading magazines in the waiting room (which by the way- they need to get some new issues, I can't read the same Martha Stewart Magazine over and over again).

I shouldn't start to feel the side effects until about another week, and really won't get the full side effects until the very end.

After radiation I need a few weeks to rest, as the side effects linger longer than chemo (which were fairly fast to recover for me).  The after that, I can get my port taken out finally- then recover from that.  Then somewhere around the end of May I can return to work (as it's looking today anyway).

My Hair:
Just now starting to grow on the sides of my head, barely.  The top is a good 1/8", and finally darkened a bit- still lighter than it used to be though.  It's like a muted desaturated medium brown.

my eyebrows are thin, but have grown back at about 80% of where they used to be.  At least they're the right color. 

Strangely enough, my eye lashes have all grown in already- I thought that would be the slowest.  They're the same color as my head hair- which looks a bit odd.

However nothing looks as odd as my facial hair... which is blonde.  No really.  It started out kind of white, only to become a weird light blonde color. The hairs are also super soft, like plush. The facial hair that didn't fall out during chemo (about 10% of it stayed), is the same dark brown black it used to be... so when I let it all grow out, it looks a bit off.

No comments:

Post a Comment