Sunday, March 31, 2013

Radiation about half way done

Radiation is about half over. So 2 more weeks then I'm done.

I'm having a bit worse side effects than I thought/hoped I would have, but not awful (unless I swallow a crust bit of bread).

Side Effects:

I've already started to turn a bit red in the areas that I receive radiation in, as basically it's like a sun burn.  I've been putting a water based aloe gel on it (remember- NO lotion on it), to keep my skin from drying out.

Mouth dryness.  YIKES.  On of my 2 salivary glands is being irradiated, and while that happens- it stops working.  So I have a weird dry mouth, more so on my right side (the shut down one). However when I eat- no problem, as the salivary glands mostly responsible for saliva for eating are unaffected. 

The dry mouth does make my throat *incredibly* dry and sore when I get up in the morning. I made the mistake of eating a bit of crusty bread this morning, which I could feel tearing up my insides all the way down to my stomach.  So I basically have to take biotene every 4 hours and chew my food into molecules before swallowing   I'm going to ask for a Rx to help with swallowing/eating on Monday.

I feel a bit run down still- just in general, nothing too bad.  Radiation (minus the throat problems) hasn't been *too* bad.

Hair:

All of my hair has finally started growing back.  The sides of my head as well as places where I wish I didn't have hair growing.  My facial hair has also mostly returned to its original color- and rough as sandpaper like before.

Crab Cioppino

Yesterday was Wendy's sisters birthday.  I'm making Crab Cioppino for dinner tonight to celebrate. I might avoid crusty baguette though.




No crab for you

No comments:

Post a Comment