Friday, November 9, 2012

Chemo Treatment 1 of 8 Done + More for Newly Diagnosed + My Last Sushi Dinner


I had my first of 8 ABVD Chemo Treatments yesterday Nov 8th 2012 Thursday.  I started around 9:30, Wendy came with me for half of the appointment before having to leave for work. I was outta there about 2:00 PM.

It started out with a short visit to my oncologist, to answer any questions I might have. I've read virtually everything to know about everything on my disease, and he knows that as well- so we have a very good Dr. patient relationship.  I had 2:
  1. Q: My next treatment is on Thanksgiving. A: Well!  How's Wednesday the day before?  ME: Sounds good!
  2. Q: The only enlarged lymph node I have that is giving me problems, is a large 2" one on my neck on the corner of my jaw, it's become significantly bigger over the last 2 weeks.  When will is start to go down in size?   A: How's tomorrow sound?*  ME: Really?!  Dr: Yes, the cancer is very sensitive to drugs, and the drugs work well.  It will most certainly not be visible by the 2nd treatment.
* Sure enough, less than 24 hours after my 1st chemo treatment ended, that 2" grown is now about 50% it's previous size.  I no longer have the pushing nerve pain, and my jaw bone isn't hitting it from eating or talking.  Relief at last!


For Newly Diagnosed People:  When you oncologist or oncology nurse says "if you run a fever over 100.5°F" or ANY of the adverse side effects they tell you about and say "call us immediately day or night," YOU DO THAT.  Don't think "oh I don't want to bother them, it's the middle of the night"- SHUT UP FOOL, and CALL THEM. DON'T WAIT IDIOT.

My treatment lasted about 3 1/2 hours. I got a Rx for about 4 meds that I picked up after I was done.


Giant (very cozy) recliner

 Wendy waited in her (not as cozy as mine) waiting chair


Everything went down in this order:


  • Newly Diagnosed:  EAT BREAKFAST.  Don't, you know be stupid and eat a grand slam or any other crap like that, but eat a modest breakfast, some toast, coffee, juice.  Just don't go on an empty stomach. I had 2 slices of toast and coffee.  OH:  And EAT the night before, something that will sit well in your stomach.  Also, bring someone with you if you're nervous or scared.  My girlfriend Wendy came for most of mine.  And honestly- it's nice to have someone there, well because you might get bored- it is 3 1/2 hours after all.
  • Talk with the Doc:  My bone marrow was clean, and I am Stage 2A (early, no disease in organs or bones, only in 2 regions of lymph nodes on one side of the diaphragm, and no outward usual symptoms). Newly Diagnosed: ASK ANYTHING YOU WANT. THAT'S WHY YOU'RE TALKING TO HIM/HER.
  • If you have a port:  Instead of doing and IV catheter into your arm, they'll "access" it.  I caught a glimpse of the needle used to access the port and I made a face something close to this:

It's a VERY thick needle.  I don't mind being poked by needles at all actually.   As long as I don't have to look at it I'm fine, some slight discomfort- and I'm good to go. I have a VERY good tolerance for pain. Let me tell you something:  That fucker HURT.  Here's the conversation that went down with my nurse (who is seriously FANTASTIC, and I wouldn't trade her for anything):

Nurse:  I'll push this needle though your chest into the port, flush with saline, and draw blood a few times.  If you don't like the sensation  we can get you an Rx for an analgesic cream you can put on 1 hour before, let me know if that's something you want. However the first time you have to go with out.  Ready?
Me:  Yep!
Nurse: (pushes needle into my chest and into the port)
Me: (!!!!)
Nurse: How was that?
Me: I would like an Rx for the analgesic cream please. 

  • Get your anti-nausea meds injected.**  I got about 3, including a steroid and a ton of saline. You're gunna pee a LOT during treatment.  Get a couple of vials of blood drawn.
  • Then you begin the ABVD treatment I posted last about and the possible side effects. As I said then, and I'm going to say now for the Newly Diagnosed:  EVERYONE is different, not everyone will have the same side effects.  Some people have hardly anything, some people fell like hell from all of it.  You will know after your first appointment.  After then plan accordingly.  Take note of what I said to bring with you on my previous post- as a just in case, and for WHATEVER REASON, if you have pain or discomfort- SAY something to the nurse, ALWAYS.
  • For MY particular treatment, the first drug, A= It was supposed to put a horrible taste in my mouth, and turn my urine bright red.  NONE of those thing happened. No bad taste at all.  Nothing.  And my urine... was more of a Rosé color. B +V = NOTHING at all. The dreaded D=  Not a thing.  Slight "discomfort" in my stomach, but really that was even a stretch.  
  • If you have a port: It's cleaned  and "plugged" with heparin.  If you didn't get a port- you really should, in about 2 months you're veins are going to be as hard as slim jim's (that's being dramatic, but your veins will not thank you, and it makes your nurses unhappy trying to find a good place to place the IV into a vein that isn't over used).
  • Then you make an appointment for your next ABVD treatment, which is always 14 days after (or 13 days for me because of Turkey Day).  You also need to come back the following day for a quick 15 min appointment for a Nulasta shot to increase your white blood cell production for the next 2 weeks as ABVD will lower your white cell count and general immune system (Newly Diagnosed: That means no more 3 second rule for dropped food- STOP that, and wash your hands preferably with anti-bacterial soap).  Another appointment (usually one week after your 1st treatment, and somewhere in the middle of the whole thing) is a blood work test, a quick one- just to see how you're reacting to the Chemo drugs.  Then you are free to go, well free to go pick up your anti-nausea meds.

So MY symptoms after my first ABVD Chemotherapy treatment: 

None.  Nothing at all.  No bad taste. Nothing. Only Rosé colored pee (sorry no pics, you'll have to take my word on that). Some light tingling in my stomach. There's a slight pressure I feel in my chest, the nurses told me, like the growth on my neck shrinking, the nodes in my chest are doing the same- and I'm feeling the activity happening there. Otherwise: nadda.

** The only reaction I have during my entire treatment session was to Ativan, the very first thing I got, an anti-nausea and anti-anxiety med that was pushed via syringe.  It made me a little drowsy as it's supposed to, but after a couple of minutes I got a burning sensation in my chest, face got flushed and heart started racing (because of what was going on) and my breathing was shallow. It only lasted for less than a minute, and was gone. I told the nurse this, and she was surprised, as normally there's only the slight drowsiness felling that's supposed to happen.  She told me in the future rather than pushing it, they'll use the IV drip machine to slowly administer it, and it should take care of that.


The night before; Wendy, Sheri (Wendy's roommate and sister if you didn't know) and I went out for my last "pre-chemo day" dinner at O'shan Sushi.  Because of my lowered immune system during treatment... I can't eat raw fish or shell fish.  I LOVE ME SOME DAMN SUSHI TOO.  I can eat cooked "sushi" (yeah that's right I put it in quotes), but I love me some Sashimi.



I forgot to take a photo when it arrived, and we just started chowing down

I love me some unfiltered sake as well



Oh- this is For Jessica Wimbley. (FYI her art website is currently NOT safe for work. She's just like that ;-)  so careful not to click the link on her name to her art website at work or church or prison or something like that- the Seattle Public Library is A-OK though). 

She knows what this is about:



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling some relief Scooter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your gland is shrinking already. Yeah for medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it's Hanan88 from the forums. I'm keeping up with your blog, I start ABVD tuesday, stage 3(ii) NSHL. Great stuff to read, I like the way you're laying it all out, and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping a positive attitude is by far the best thing to have. Many people dread going to chemo (for rightful reasons), but try to keep in your mind: This is what will make you better.

      Delete